Find your way to a lighthouse tour
Door County is home to numerous historical lighthouses, all dating back to the 1800’s. Many of them are still open for visitors. The easiest way to tour all the Door County lighthouses is to visit during the biannual Door County Lighthouse Festivals. Reserve a room at Ephraim Shores Resort to start planning your trip today.
This year, the Door County Lighthouse Festivals will take place June 10-12 and Sept. 30-Oct. 2, 2022. Some lighthouses are open to the public exclusively during the festivals. Join a tour or visit at your own pace. Here are just a few of the lighthouses you could explore!
Door County lighthouses are an integral part of peninsula’s history
- Pottawatomie Lighthouse on Rock Island is the oldest of the Door County lighthouses, built in 1836. It served a central purpose guiding ships from Green Bay to the Great Lakes.
- Cana Island Lighthouse is one of the most famous Door County lighthouses. Explore the grounds and climb the 89-foot tower for a beautiful view of Lake Michigan. To get there, you can take a tractor and hay wagon ride, or if you’re okay with getting your feet wet, you can walk across the causeway.
- Sherwood Point Lighthouse is most known for its iconic red bricking, the only Door County lighthouse to use such a bright color. It is the last manned lighthouse on the Great Lakes.
- Chambers Island Lighthouse is accessible by boat and is a bit of a hike, but worth the trek! Caretakers Joel and Mary Blahnik believe the lighthouse is haunted with tools and objects disappearing and showing up elsewhere.
- Eagle Bluff Lighthouse museum is in Peninsula State Park. Unlike many of the other Door County lighthouses, Eagle Bluff is much less isolated, situated between Fish Creek and Ephraim, Wisconsin. The lamp has remained on for the past 150 years.
Ephraim Shores Resort: A waterfront Door County resort for the whole family
Located in downtown Ephraim, with a private sundeck overlooking Eagle Harbor, Ephraim Shores Resort is the family-friendly resort for groups of all sizes. From our many room types to our beautiful waterfront location, Ephraim Shores has everything your family needs for the perfect vacation. Some of our amenities include an indoor pool and hot tub, and bikes for our guests to use. Contact us at 877-854-2371 or visit our website at ephraimshores.com to make your reservation.